Lamingtons, a beloved Australian dessert, are sponge cake squares coated in a rich chocolate icing and sprinkled with shredded coconut. This delectable treat has a fascinating history and is enjoyed by people worldwide. Originating in Queensland, Australia, Lamingtons were named after Lord Lamington, who served as the Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901. While the exact origins of the recipe remain debated, it is believed that Lamingtons were created by accident when the cook at Government House dipped leftover sponge cake into chocolate and coated it with coconut. Today, Lamingtons are enjoyed as a traditional afternoon tea treat, a dessert for special occasions, or simply as a delicious sweet indulgence.
Ingredients for Lamingtons Cake:
To make a batch of scrumptious Lamingtons, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups shredded coconut, for coating
How to Prepare Lamingtons Cake Recipe:
Follow these simple steps to create your own batch of delightful Lamingtons:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then cut it into square pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Gradually add the boiling water while whisking until you achieve a smooth and glossy chocolate icing.
- Dip each cake square into the chocolate icing, coating it on all sides.
- Roll the coated cake square in the shredded coconut, ensuring it is evenly coated.
- Place the coated Lamingtons on a wire rack to set and repeat the process for the remaining cake squares.
- Once the icing has set, serve the Lamingtons and enjoy!
These delightful Lamingtons are perfect for a sweet afternoon treat, a potluck dessert, or any special occasion. Their soft sponge cake texture, combined with the rich chocolate icing and the delightful crunch of shredded coconut, will have everyone asking for seconds. Give this easy Lamingtons cake recipe a try and indulge in the irresistible flavors of this classic Australian treat!